Residents evacuated from homes after Littleham fire

PUBLISHED: 12:28 28 June 2010 | UPDATED: 12:28 28 June 2010

Part of Littleham was sealed off on Saturday due a gas cylinder fire at Leese's garage.; Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 3529-26-10SH

Part of Littleham was sealed off on Saturday due a gas cylinder fire at Leese's garage.; Photo by Simon Horn. Ref exe 3529-26-10SH

Archant

Do you have any Exmouth news?

Contact any one of the following Journal reporters: Becca Gliddon on (01392) 888507, David Beasley on (01392) 88508 or Graham Britton on (01392) 888506

DOZENS of residents were evacuated from their homes after a fire involving gas cylinders at an industrial estate in Littleham.

More than 50 people from properties within a 200 metre radius of Leese’s Skip Hire, in Pankhurst Close, fled the area following an incident at the commercial building on Saturday morning, June 26.

The fire started at around 10am after part of an oxy acetylene cylinder ignited.

See this week’s Exmouth Journal for the full story and pictures.

Bill Harvison, from Devon and Somerset fire authority, said the situation could have been a lot worse if the cylinder had exploded.

“Nobody was injured thankfully. The right actions were taken by people who work in the building because we got an early call.”

Mr Harvison added: “It is the worst kind of cylinder incident you can have because it is so unstable. “We immediately got water onto it and fought the fire defensively whilst at the same time getting enough resources here to evacuate a 200 metre cordon from the building.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists