Reading spaces out Exmouth youngsters
Exmouth Library on Saturday played host to a mad science family workshop to launch Devon County Council’s Space Hop summer reading challenge.
Youngsters attending the Roaring Rocket workshop created dry ice storms, made magic mud and discovered the dynamics of rocket flight.
They also made their own balloon and pea shooter rockets and enjoyed a NASA-style launching of a model rocket that soared into the air and returned to earth by parachute.
In its 12th year, the biggest national reading initiative encourages children aged between four and 12 to read at least six books during the summer break.
Devon County Councillor Stuart Barker, cabinet member with responsibility for the county’s libraries said: “The summer reading challenge is a great fun and free way for children to get into reading. “It has proved to be an immensely popular and successful reading initiative, and I am delighted that our libraries are taking part and helping to inspire more children to enjoy books.
You may also want to watch:
“Last year more than 6,000 children in Devon took part in the challenge.
“This year we are hoping even more will sign up and get into the cosmic world of reading.
- 1 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 4 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 5 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 6 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 7 Budleigh up to third with thrilling win
- 8 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 9 '9 to 5' smash hit musical about to come your way
- 10 Tributes flow for man who helped reshape city
“Not only is it a great way to keep children entertained over the summer holidays, it encourages them to make use of one of the best free resources on their doorstep - the local library.”
For more information about joining the Space Hop summer reading challenge, contact Exmouth library on (01395) 272677.