Purse thefts - Police warn Exmouth pensioners
Pensioners in Exmouth are being warned to keep an eye on their belongings when shopping following a spate of purse thefts.
Exmouth’s elderly are being warned thieves are targeting pensioners shopping in the town centre.
The theft of a purse from an elderly lady’s bag while she was out in Exmouth on the afternoon of April 6 has prompted the police to warn pensioners to remain vigilant.
Officers said the culprits tend to work in groups and use a number of methods to divert attention away from the crime.
Exmouth police are urging residents to immediately report anyone acting suspiciously in the Magnolia Centre, or Exmouth town centre.
You may also want to watch:
Police community support officer Karen Capey said: “The town centre policing team would like to remind all shoppers, especially the elderly and infirm, as on previous occasions they have been the target for purse thefts.
“Please be mindful of where your purse or wallet is, and if possible wear a bag that is zipped around your waist.
- 1 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 2 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 3 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 4 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 5 Early detection increases chances of successful treatment
- 6 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 East Budleigh 'B' continue their unbeaten snooker start
“If any person needs to use a walking aid or scooter, once again please make sure your purse or wallet is well hidden in a secure bag.
“Purse thieves generally do not operate alone. They are part of a group that will target the vulnerable by using distraction techniques.”
If you have any information about the purse theft, or have concerns about distraction thefts, contact Exmouth police on 08452 777 444.