PUBLISHED: 07:00 16 May 2014
With reference to your article concerning the storage of mobility scooters, etc, in stairways and passageways (Journal, May 8, page 3), I’m surprised that it has taken the council so long to realise that these vehicles are potential fire hazards.
Mobility scooters contain batteries and cabling, which on rare occasions can short-circuit and cause a fire.
Also, the storage of rubbish and recycling bins around stairways could increase the intensity and spread of a fire and may also be targeted by arsonists.
Fire occurring adjacent to a stairway is likely to render the stairway unusable and trap residents in their flats.
Please see the following web link to the story of a fire involving a mobility scooter at Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, which was owned by Mr Aiden Cassidy.
Fire Risk Assessment Devon