Please do not lecture elderly
REGARDING?the article Council operator alerted emergency services after OAP burgled . Well done the East Devon District Council operator who reached this accurate and alert conclusion.
REGARDING?the article "Council operator alerted emergency services after OAP burgled".
Well done the East Devon District Council operator who reached this accurate and alert conclusion. Not so well done to the person who patronizingly said: "It underlines the importance of wearing the pendant at all times."
Of course, it is important, but making blanket statements about what people elderly should not do is unhelpful and, in this case, it indicates some lack of understanding of what it is like to be old and forgetful.
My own mother, for example, when asked where her pendant is, will invariably say she thinks it may be beside her bed, or in the bathroom. But, nevertheless, I will probably find it in the kitchen - even if you wrote in six-inch high letters on the wall 'DON'T FORGET TO WEAR YOUR PENDANT'.
You may also want to watch:
Firstly, many would not look at the notice and, if they did, it may, or may not, register with them, and, in quite a lot of cases, what they had intended to do would be forgotten soon after leaving their chair. I am afraid giving orders to the very elderly does not help them at all.
Vernon J Yarker,
- 1 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 2 Exmouth and Budleigh councillor retain county seats in 2021 elections
- 3 Turf cutting marks start of work on college’s new £13.5m building
- 4 Looking forward to rediscovering the magic of the theatre
- 5 Premises licence for Mikey’s Berach Bar granted – but opening hours cut
- 6 A busy start to May for Exmouth Harriers
- 7 Recruitment evening for Exmouth’s Air Cadets squadron
- 8 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 9 Accountancy firm and comedy workshop company sponsoring business awards
- 10 Covid-19 vaccination programme in Devon enters next phase
The Sheltered Housing UK Association (SHUK).