Plan fails to win support
A BID to build an ugly two-storey home in a Budleigh Salterton conservation area, which one objector said would make West Hill Lane look more like Gotham City , has failed to get the backing of town planners.
A BID to build an 'ugly' two-storey home in a Budleigh Salterton conservation area, which one objector said would make West Hill Lane look more like 'Gotham City', has failed to get the backing of town planners.
The owner of Stapleton, West Hill Lane, has applied to build the property and a garage in their garden - but the plan has drawn 11 letters objection.
The design statement says the design would be for a family dwelling with an architectural aspiration 'in keeping with the tradition of innovation and individuality of the Budleigh locale.'
But neighbour Professor Jim Campbell called the design 'truly awful' - he said it was out of scale, with a flat-sheet roof, with a 'smiley-face' roof lights, a 'mish-mash' of window styles and with a 'bizarre' master bedroom on stilts.
You may also want to watch:
He said "We believe the design and external appearance of the proposed house is inappropriate for its setting...
"From the top with its ugly sheet metal roof, it looks like a warehouse... or one of those post-modern reception buildings put up at... expanding airports.
- 1 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 2 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 3 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 4 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 5 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 6 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 9 Exe Raid Regatta on Exmouth water
- 10 Serious injury abandons Exmouth v Brislington
"It is a truly awful building, which might just make it on to the long list for Blackpool's sea front regeneration or down-town Gotham City, but it is out of keeping with a conservation area...."
Town planners said it would 'fail to enhance' the AONB site, the Conservation Area and there were concerns with access on to a dangerous junction.
East Devon District Council will now consider the application.