Patriotic Budleigh Salterton butcher shows support for England team
A PATRIOTIC butcher from Budleigh Salterton is hoping England s 44 years of hurt come to an end at this year s World Cup. Exeter City supporter Chris Coles, of AJ Coles butchers, in High Street, has decorated his shop with a number of St George flags to s
A PATRIOTIC butcher from Budleigh Salterton is hoping England's 44 years of hurt come to an end at this year's World Cup.
Exeter City supporter Chris Coles, of AJ Coles butchers, in High Street, has decorated his shop with a number of St George flags to show his support for Fabio Capello's men at the tournament.
Mr Coles, speaking about England's chances, said: "I'm hopeful. I think they'll get to the quarter final at least."
The proud Englishmen said the large display of flags was something he also did for St George's Day.
You may also want to watch:
He added: "I've had a fairly good response from the people of Budleigh about the flags, though, I had one person moaning."
England last won the competition in 1966 following a 4-2 win against West Germany at the old Wembley stadium in London.
- 1 Pop band McFly set to perform at Imperial Recreation Ground
- 2 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 3 Sound move to join singing group
- 4 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 5 Stunning cup display from Brixington U11s
- 6 Exmouth deliver outstanding display in local derby
- 7 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 8 Plenty of evidence why Devon won't give up the ghost
- 9 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 10 The upcoming annual Budget and how it might help those struggling this winter
Like most of East Devon, several homes across the town have flags draping from windows in support of the current national football team.
If you are in a quandary over where to watch England's games, Budleigh Salterton Cricket Club are showing matches.
The Group C fixture against Algeria starts tomorrow, June 18, at 7.30pm with the Slovenia match taking place next Wednesday, June 23, at 3pm.
If Capello's squad qualify for the second round, depending on where they finish in their group table, they will then play on either Saturday, June 26 or Sunday, June 27.
A barbecue will be held at Budleigh Salterton Cricket Club for each England game.