Patriotic Budleigh Salterton butcher shows support for England team
A PATRIOTIC butcher from Budleigh Salterton is hoping England s 44 years of hurt come to an end at this year s World Cup. Exeter City supporter Chris Coles, of AJ Coles butchers, in High Street, has decorated his shop with a number of St George flags to s
A PATRIOTIC butcher from Budleigh Salterton is hoping England's 44 years of hurt come to an end at this year's World Cup.
Exeter City supporter Chris Coles, of AJ Coles butchers, in High Street, has decorated his shop with a number of St George flags to show his support for Fabio Capello's men at the tournament.
Mr Coles, speaking about England's chances, said: "I'm hopeful. I think they'll get to the quarter final at least."
The proud Englishmen said the large display of flags was something he also did for St George's Day.
He added: "I've had a fairly good response from the people of Budleigh about the flags, though, I had one person moaning."
England last won the competition in 1966 following a 4-2 win against West Germany at the old Wembley stadium in London.
- 1 Exmouth RNLI save speedboat sinking on the River Exe
- 2 Exmouth RNLI rescue paddleboards caught in rip tide
- 3 Exmouth classic car show returns this August
- 4 Plastic free fest held in Exmouth
- 5 Local history: Withycombe Raleigh's churches
- 6 Chef from Exmouth retains Michelin two star status
- 7 South West warning for drought issued
- 8 'Step aside, Salcombe' - travel article names Exmouth as Devon's up-and-coming destination
- 9 Volunteers sought for Exmouth charity shop
- 10 Exmouth toilets could become an 'eco hub'
Like most of East Devon, several homes across the town have flags draping from windows in support of the current national football team.
If you are in a quandary over where to watch England's games, Budleigh Salterton Cricket Club are showing matches.
The Group C fixture against Algeria starts tomorrow, June 18, at 7.30pm with the Slovenia match taking place next Wednesday, June 23, at 3pm.
If Capello's squad qualify for the second round, depending on where they finish in their group table, they will then play on either Saturday, June 26 or Sunday, June 27.
A barbecue will be held at Budleigh Salterton Cricket Club for each England game.