Past in pictures: We take a step back in time to 1981
- Credit: Archant
News pictures in the Exmouth Journal from 1981.
We’ve taken a step back in time to 1981 to see what was making the news in the Exmouth Journal.
The year 1981 saw some memorable moments in Exmouth, from a giant inflatable ball to the demolition works at Exeter Road.
In the year that Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer were getting married, Exmouth was in the midst of constructing the much-needed urban relief road.
Also making the news 38 years ago was the severe wind and snow storm in December, which resulted in widespread flooding, such as that seen in Lympstone, near the Saddler’s Arms.
You may also want to watch:
And as the annual May Day celebrations and the Devon County Show at Westpoint draw near, we thought you would like to see some bygone pictures of these events from the Journal archives.
If you are interested in Devon nostalgia then why not join our Facebook history group – Devon Memories.
- 1 Ban for driver who injured cyclist in Budleigh
- 2 New Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine being rolled out in Devon
- 3 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 4 The discovery of unusual items in the search for crucial paperwork - Paul Nero
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 New recycling centre permit scheme to kerb commercial dumping
- 7 Family pride for Kayleigh the Chief
- 8 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 9 Covid-19 test may be daunting but protecting vulnerable is eesential
- 10 Chamber inundated with snaps of Exmouth and Budleigh at sunrise and sunset