Passionate Exmouth gardener releases book
A DEDICATED allotment worker is so passionate about gardening he has released a book about his hobby. Michael Hawkins, of The Hollows, Exmouth, has penned a book called Growing Vegetables which can be purchased from Kings Garden Centre, in Higher Hulham
A DEDICATED allotment worker is so passionate about gardening he has released a book about his hobby.
Michael Hawkins, of The Hollows, Exmouth, has penned a book called Growing Vegetables which can be purchased from Kings Garden Centre, in Higher Hulham Road.
In the book, the 63-year-old, who has an allotment in Exmouth, shares some of the methods he has used during the last 50 years of growing vegetables.
Mr Hawkins said: "I've been gardening for many, many years. I first had an allotment when I lived in Lympstone when I was 10-years-old.
"It pleases me when I see youngsters now who are coming up to the allotments taking on ground because it reminds me of back all those years ago."
Mr Hawkins said it had taken him approximately two years to produce the book.
- 1 Exmouth RNLI save speedboat sinking on the River Exe
- 2 South West warning for drought issued
- 3 Chef from Exmouth retains Michelin two star status
- 4 Local history: Withycombe Raleigh's churches
- 5 Plastic free fest held in Exmouth
- 6 'Step aside, Salcombe' - travel article names Exmouth as Devon's up-and-coming destination
- 7 Volunteers sought for Exmouth charity shop
- 8 Exmouth RNLI rescue paddleboards caught in rip tide
- 9 Exmouth classic car show returns this August
- 10 Christian festival coming to Budleigh
"Everything in there has come from me, my experiences, the vegetables I've grown and the way I've grown them.
"A lot of people are already saying that they have learned one or two things. If that's the case, then I'm pleased.
"There are many things to do with gardening that can inspire you to write a book such as the different wildlife you see.
"I think what people will get inspiration from (in the book) is how it makes it appear quite easy.
"Gardening is not scientific, you just follow basic rules and look after your ground.
"I've explained in there how easy it is to grow vegetables and there are a lot of people now who want to do that very thing.