Passionate Exmouth gardener releases book
A DEDICATED allotment worker is so passionate about gardening he has released a book about his hobby. Michael Hawkins, of The Hollows, Exmouth, has penned a book called Growing Vegetables which can be purchased from Kings Garden Centre, in Higher Hulham
A DEDICATED allotment worker is so passionate about gardening he has released a book about his hobby.
Michael Hawkins, of The Hollows, Exmouth, has penned a book called Growing Vegetables which can be purchased from Kings Garden Centre, in Higher Hulham Road.
In the book, the 63-year-old, who has an allotment in Exmouth, shares some of the methods he has used during the last 50 years of growing vegetables.
Mr Hawkins said: "I've been gardening for many, many years. I first had an allotment when I lived in Lympstone when I was 10-years-old.
You may also want to watch:
"It pleases me when I see youngsters now who are coming up to the allotments taking on ground because it reminds me of back all those years ago."
Mr Hawkins said it had taken him approximately two years to produce the book.
- 1 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 2 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 3 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 4 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 5 Concept of 'live local' more important than ever in housing crisis
- 6 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 7 Exe Raid Regatta on Exmouth water
- 8 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 9 Finest display of the season for Exmouth Town
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
"Everything in there has come from me, my experiences, the vegetables I've grown and the way I've grown them.
"A lot of people are already saying that they have learned one or two things. If that's the case, then I'm pleased.
"There are many things to do with gardening that can inspire you to write a book such as the different wildlife you see.
"I think what people will get inspiration from (in the book) is how it makes it appear quite easy.
"Gardening is not scientific, you just follow basic rules and look after your ground.
"I've explained in there how easy it is to grow vegetables and there are a lot of people now who want to do that very thing.