Olympics to be celebrated with collage
EXMOUTH WI is leading a group of volunteers from around the town in creating a collage to celebrate the London Olympics
They have, so far, spent two years working on the design, which contains the Olympic rings, spectators and flags.
The project is being led by the WI, but several other groups from around Exmouth have made embroidered spectators to go on the collage, which will hang in the town hall.
The finished design will be made into a sail by Frank Rowsell, of Rowsell Sails, in order to commemorate Exmouth’s long maritime history and the recent Olympic success of its sailors.
The collage will be hung after the Olympics have taken place, so that winner’s medals can be added to the collage in honour of successful GB athletes.
Exmouth WI’s Hilary Higgins said: “We’ve put over a thousand hours of work into it so far, and we’re having great fun.
“It’s hard work, but it’s also full of enjoyment.
- 1 Exmouth RNLI save speedboat sinking on the River Exe
- 2 Multi agency rescue on Exmouth seafront
- 3 Exmouth singer Ruby 'has world class talent'
- 4 Littleham group's success after £5k council grant
- 5 Exmouth firefighters save cow from ditch
- 6 Wing walking Exmouth nurse has fundraiser postponed
- 7 Review: 'Time of my life' at Blackmore Theatre
- 8 Exmouth Town enjoy winning start to life in Southern League
- 9 German twinners have 'sehr gut' trip to Exmouth
- 10 Four live music acts to perform at garden party
“It’s a great effort from the whole town, coming together to celebrate the Olympics.”
The collage is expected to be hung in September 2012.