Olives galore at Newton Poppleford store
Busy Lizzie’s Olive Event offers advice on olive tree growing, olive tasting and gifts
NOVEMBER seems an odd month to be talking about growing olive trees, but that is just what Caradoc Doy and Liz Motler will be doing next Wednesday, November 17.
Caradoc, who has been growing olives from cuttings in Devon for the last 15 years, will be giving advice from Busy Lizzie’s Craft and Plant Shop, Newton Poppleford, on how to get the best from growing olives in this country.
“Many people are surprised to hear how hardy these trees really are and it should be emphasised that olives also grow in cold parts of Europe and even Western China,” he said.
“The oldest olive tree in the UK is now nearly 100 years old and fruits well in good summers.”
Carodoc grows a variety of olive tree that he has named the Peace Olive.
From 2pm to 8pm, there will be a range of fine olives, olive oil and other olive edibles available to try and taste and in the craft shop.
- 1 Exmouth RNLI save speedboat sinking on the River Exe
- 2 Multi agency rescue on Exmouth seafront
- 3 Exmouth singer Ruby 'has world class talent'
- 4 Littleham group's success after £5k council grant
- 5 Exmouth firefighters save cow from ditch
- 6 Wing walking Exmouth nurse has fundraiser postponed
- 7 Review: 'Time of my life' at Blackmore Theatre
- 8 Exmouth Town enjoy winning start to life in Southern League
- 9 German twinners have 'sehr gut' trip to Exmouth
- 10 Four live music acts to perform at garden party
Liz will also be selling olive-related gifts, made by a number of local artists and crafts people.
She has many locally-produced items in the shop, and will have a display of colourful, contemporary pots and garden stoneware, made by Sue Bicks of Sueke Ceramics.
Liz said: “We work hard to support the talent we have locally, and the shop is an important place to show off their work as well as encourage the artists to produce items which are otherwise difficult to find.”
Busy Lizzie’s, which also runs crafting events to enable other to have a go at making something unique, is also offering a free draw to win a hamper full of olive goodies.