NEW VISION LOSS GROUP LAUNCHED IN EXMOUTH
A SUPPORT group has been launched in Exmouth for people with a vision-loss condition. The Macular Disease Society will hold meetings at the RAFA Club, on Imperial Road, on the first Tuesday of every month at 10.30am.
N 2704 VISIONGROUP 187 gb
A SUPPORT group has been launched in Exmouth for people with a vision-loss condition.
The Macular Disease Society will hold meetings at the RAFA Club, on Imperial Road, on the first Tuesday of every month at 10.30am.
Linda Slade, who lived in Exmouth for more than 20 years and who runs the Exeter group, said more awareness needed to be raised about macular disease.
You may also want to watch:
Pleased that a branch in Exmouth had been formed, Linda, 55, explained: "I am now registered blind as I have macular disease. I was diagnosed when I was about 15-years-old.
"Not many people know what causes it."
- 1 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 2 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 3 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 4 Budleigh up to third with thrilling win
- 5 Vandals target vital equipment used by coastwatch team
- 6 Serious injury abandons Exmouth v Brislington
- 7 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 8 Call for 370 more care workers in East Devon
- 9 Exmouth salutes its 'town of flowers' award winners
- 10 St Peter's runner-up in Devon's best churchyard award
Macular degeneration causes the loss of central vision mainly among people in the latter part of their lives.
There are two types of the condition which include dry MD, a steady deterioration of the eye's cell and wet MD, which results from the growth of abnormal blood vessels lying behind the macula.
"There needs to be better awareness made to macular diseases," added Linda, who now lives in Teignmouth, Devon.
For more information about the Macular Disease Society group in Exmouth, contact Joanne on 01395 265092.