New plans for Exmouth bowling centre

PART of the roof at Exmouth s seafront bowling centre could be increased in height – by nearly one metre. A revised planning application has been submitted to East Devon District Council which also includes calls for the formation of vehicular access. The

PART of the roof at Exmouth's seafront bowling centre could be increased in height - by nearly one metre.

A revised planning application has been submitted to East Devon District Council which also includes calls for the formation of vehicular access.

The move comes after a previous application was approved more than two years ago.

It is proposed, as detailed in the plans, to 'incorporate alternative structural design which necessitates an increase in the height of 970mm to the main curved rood to the rear of main stair and lift core.'


You may also want to watch:


The application will be discussed at Exmouth Town Council's planning committee meeting this Monday, February 1.

Representatives involved with the construction of the building alley refused to comment on the revised plans.

Most Read

Construction work at the site has been delayed for a number of weeks.

Speaking to the Journal last December, the owner of the bowling centre said he expected work to start on the complex in the New Year after 'technical problems' resulted in a temporary standstill to the development.

Mark Quinn said he could understand that a lack of activity on the site had 'fuelled all sorts of alarmist rumours' with people in the town.

He said the difficulties, which he failed to specify, had forced his construction team to take a break from work. Mr Quinn added: "I can assure people, I fully intend to complete the project as soon as I can.

"Once these technical problems have been resolved, we expect to be back on site as soon as possible in the New Year."

The comments were made after it was hoped the centre would have been completed by the end of last year.

The revised application has attracted mixed reactions from people on the planning section of EDDC's website.

Mrs Austin-Sparks, of Louisa Place, said she was concerned about the proposals as the complex was very close to a roundabout which would be dangerous to any vehicular access.

"It would also be a danger to cars having any space to parking and dropping-off points for those using the building," she said.

Rob Speers, an estates surveyor, said he had no objections to the proposed amended plans.

He added: "The restrictive covenant limiting the height of any development was removed by agreement with Clinton Devon Estates in 2006, and therefore the planned increase in height will not be a breach of covenant.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter