New number to contact police

Contacting Devon and Cornwall police has become much easier with the launch of a new non-emergency number, 101.

The police said 101 can now be used for reporting a non-urgent crime, crime prevention advice and for contacting local officers about policing issues within communities.

It replaces the existing non-emergency number for Devon and Cornwall Police - 08452 777444.

This police said the change does not affect the way the force responds to non-urgent calls - which will still be received by call handlers in local control rooms.

The introduction of 101 is part of a national programme to make it easier for members of the public to contact their local police, the force said.

All South West forces began using 101 on September 19 and the number will be standard across the whole of England and Wales by January 2012.

Assistant Chief Constable Paul Netherton said: “The introduction of the 101 number will help communities to keep their neighbourhoods safe by giving them one easy way to speak directly to their local police for all non-urgent police-related issues.

Most Read

“Members of the public will find it simple to contact us; 101 is easily remembered, will be used across the country, and I believe that, together with all the other ways people can contact us, 101 will help us provide a better service to our communities.”

When a member of the public calls 101, the system determines their location and connects them to the police force in their area.

If a caller is located on a boundary between two or more forces, they will be given a choice of which one to speak to.

Callers will eventually be able to dial 101 from anywhere in the UK and still have the option to speak to Devon and Cornwall Police or any force.

The police said 101 would not replace 999, which should be used for emergencies - when a crime is in progress, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

Calls to 101 cost 15p per call, irrespective of how long that call may last and applies to landlines and mobile phones.

People who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired can Textphone 18001 101.

More information on 101 can be found at