New fitness class for Topsham's over 50s
IF you are aged over 50 and getting into shape was one of your New Year resolutions – then you may be in luck. A new fitness class is to be launched in Topsham. The Fitness League has joined forces with the community association to start a combined campai
IF you are aged over 50 and getting into shape was one of your New Year resolutions - then you may be in luck.
A new fitness class is to be launched in Topsham. The Fitness League has joined forces with the community association to start a combined campaign to get over 50's moving.
Ceila Vaile, who runs the classes, said: "With the refurbishment of Matthews Hall comes a commitment to provide facilities for all members of the community.
"And, as Topsham has a large group of people in the (above 50) age group, it was felt a programme of fitness classes aimed at them would be a good idea.
You may also want to watch:
"I have agreed to hold two classes on Thursday afternoons which will be the same format as my existing ones but in Matthews hall."
Ceila said the classes would all be done to music and feature a mixture of warm-up activity, followed by exercise to increase mobility in all joints.
- 1 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 2 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 3 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 4 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 5 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 6 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 7 Budleigh up to third with thrilling win
- 8 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 9 '9 to 5' smash hit musical about to come your way
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
"There will be exercises to maintain muscle strength with particular emphasis on strengthening the core muscles which are vital for good balance.
"There will be an early afternoon class, from 1.30 to 2.30pm, for the less energetic - those who feel they are not sure how much they can do and would like to start gently.
"The second class, between 2.45 and 4.00pm, will be for those who have been attending the class in the Dorothy Holman Centre and anyone else who feels they just wish to maintain their fitness.
"There would be a fee for membership of the league which may be spread over several weeks but which is essential to cover liability insurance.