Napoli engine resists cutters

PUBLISHED: 16:44 09 August 2008 | UPDATED: 09:27 10 June 2010

SATURDAY, AUGUST 9: A TEST was being carried out this week to see if the 1,400 tonne MSC Napoli engine can be blown apart by underwater explosives. But, emphasised Fred Caygill, spokesman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, the charges would not be high explosives" as h

A TEST was being carried out this week to see if the 1,400 tonne MSC Napoli engine can be blown apart by underwater explosives.But, emphasised Fred Caygill, spokesman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, the charges would not be "high explosives" as had been reported."The chances of anyone seeing anything underwater are minimal," he said. "There will be no noise or smoke. "The contractors have called in explosive experts to test these charges on the engine. The Napoli is a big old beast. Its tough and durable engine is 1,400 tonnes. "While steel cutters are successfully cutting plate steel they are up against the resistance of a cast engine."He said the Secretary of State's representative would be meeting with all parties involved in the Napoli salvage operation, which was on target to be completed by the autumn."It is very difficult to give a specific date. When we have bad weather it is not safe to work. Hopefully the test charges will do what they set out to do and salvors can carry on their work. We are still on course for the autumn."l MSC Napoli container ship, carrying 2,394 containers, was beached off Branscombe last January and since then a salvage operation, estimated to cost around £50 million, has been taking place.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists