Minister lobbied against super council
HUGO Swire, East Devon s Tory MP, lead a delegation of parliamentarians and councillors to Whitehall to lobby against a single unitary authority.
HUGO Swire, East Devon's Tory MP, lead a delegation of parliamentarians and councillors to Whitehall to lobby against a single unitary authority.
Last Thursday they met with Rosie Winterton MP, minister for local government, to demand an end to the proposals.
Mr Swire was joined by fellow Devon Conservative MPs including Geoffrey Cox QC, Anthony Steen and Gary Streeter
Also joining him were members from councils across Devon including Ray Franklin, Mike Hicks, Andrew Leadbetter, James McInnes, James Morrish, Peter Hare-Scott and David Brailey.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Swire said: "(Shadow minister for local Government )...Bob Neill MP has clearly stated that if there was a change of Government, the Conservatives will take all steps to reverse that decision, even if the present Government have had the temerity to pass it into law...
"With the General Election just around the corner it is clearly now time to call an end to this protracted, costly and unpopular...reorganisation.
- 1 Exmouth Town mourn former manager
- 2 Budleigh couple’s book detailing their South American adventures
- 3 New High Sheriff of Devon appointed
- 4 Mrs B marks 10 years with All Saints Pre-school
- 5 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Exmouth’s Deaf Academy recognised for ‘outstanding use’ of technology during lockdown
- 8 Recruitment evening for Exmouth’s Air Cadets squadron
- 9 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 10 New attractions and vendors as Queen’s Drive Space gets ready for summer