Minister lobbied against super council
HUGO Swire, East Devon s Tory MP, lead a delegation of parliamentarians and councillors to Whitehall to lobby against a single unitary authority.
HUGO Swire, East Devon's Tory MP, lead a delegation of parliamentarians and councillors to Whitehall to lobby against a single unitary authority.
Last Thursday they met with Rosie Winterton MP, minister for local government, to demand an end to the proposals.
Mr Swire was joined by fellow Devon Conservative MPs including Geoffrey Cox QC, Anthony Steen and Gary Streeter
Also joining him were members from councils across Devon including Ray Franklin, Mike Hicks, Andrew Leadbetter, James McInnes, James Morrish, Peter Hare-Scott and David Brailey.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Swire said: "(Shadow minister for local Government )...Bob Neill MP has clearly stated that if there was a change of Government, the Conservatives will take all steps to reverse that decision, even if the present Government have had the temerity to pass it into law...
"With the General Election just around the corner it is clearly now time to call an end to this protracted, costly and unpopular...reorganisation.
- 1 David puts big business career on ice to return to his seafront roots
- 2 Exmouth bodybuilder became cocaine dealer after devastating bike crash
- 3 Sun helps volunteers shine a light on town's blooming brilliant look
- 4 Tri-Hard Runners brave the heat
- 5 Gold medal for East Devon powerlifter
- 6 Farewell for councillor who worked tirelessly for his constituents
- 7 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 8 Exmouth local set to brave the shave for friend Simon
- 9 Women's triumphant triple challenge set to net £15,000 for charity
- 10 Exmouth road extension backed in parliament