Masons donate to Dream-A-Way
- Credit: Archant
Dream-A-Way charity was presented with a cheque at Exmouth Masonic Hall
A charity which gives free holidays to the disabled and seriously ill people is celebrating receiving a cash windfall thanks to the Devonshire Freemasons.
The Dream-A-Way charity was presented with £1,250 at the Exmouth Masonic Hall, which was handed to the charity’s chairman Jeff Merrett by the provincial grand master of Devonshire, right worshipful brother Ian Kingsbury.
Dream-A-Way chairman Jeff Merrett MBE said: “We are delighted that Devonshire Freemasons have chosen to award us such a significant sum which will really help our work. Our sincere thanks to all involved.”
Mr Kingsbury said: “I am delighted that the Freemasons in Devon are able to contribute to local causes. Many of these organisations are run on a shoestring by volunteers and these donations provide real benefit and are much appreciated.”
You may also want to watch:
Most of the organisations receiving a donation were nominated by a local masonic lodge – usually where a member has a connection with the organisation.
In this case, the sponsoring mason was W.Bro Ken Springthorpe of The Sun Lodge No 106.
- 1 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 2 Council chairman declares unique new sensory garden open
- 3 Chair of council is the right man for the job
- 4 Funding boost means park team can get their skates on
- 5 The virus brought into focus many problems that were already there
- 6 Repair cafe opens again
- 7 Communities complete vital work to protect future development
- 8 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane
- 9 Exmouth Harrier wins British Masters marathon
- 10 Dealer took over vulnerable people's homes in Exmouth and Exeter
The donations came from the William Alexander Kneel Endowment (WAKE) Fund, which is currently worth approximately £1.5million.
The charitable fund is accumulated by legacies and donations from Devonshire Freemasons and their families.
Each year around £40,000 is distributed amongst local charities and organisations in Devon.
Since it began in 2001, more than £450,000 has been donated to almost 450 beneficiaries.
Dream-A-Way’s holiday destinations are located across Devon, Cornwall and the Scilly Isles, including caravans at Exmouth’s Devon Cliffs Holiday Park.