Man air lifted to hospital after fire involving lighter cylinders in Exmouth
PUBLISHED: 07:30 15 May 2018 | UPDATED: 11:37 15 May 2018
An Exmouth man had to be airlifted to hospital after a fire at a two-storey building last night (Monday).
Emergency services were called out after reports of a fire in Hartley Road at around 8pm.
Some five appliances were called out to deal with the fire which was contained to a flat within a building divided into flats.
On arrival all persons were free and clear of the building.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the fire involved lighter fuel cylinders.
One man had rescued himself and was taken to hospital by air ambulance for treatment.
A spokesman for South Western Ambulance Service Foundation Trust (SWASFT) said: “SWASFT were called at 8.07pm to an address in Exmouth. One patient treated by paramedics and taken onto Southmead Hospital by the air ambulance with burns to arms and legs.”
The fire was extinguished shortly before midnight.
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “One ground floor flat measuring approximately eight by five metres was 100 per cent damaged by fire.
“Crew used six breathing apparatus, two hose reels, one jet, positive pressure ventilation and a thermal image camera to extinguish the fire.”