Man found on Budleigh cliff named
BREAKING NEWS: 15.45 (Sat, May 30): POLICE have named a man whose body was found at the bottom of a 400-foot cliff in Budleigh Salterton. The deceased, Simon John Batten, lived in Exmouth. The 38-year-old was married and had children from a previous marri
BREAKING NEWS: 15.45 (Sat, May 30): POLICE have named a man whose body was found at the bottom of a 400-foot cliff in Budleigh Salterton.
The deceased, Simon John Batten, lived in Exmouth. The 38-year-old was married and had children from a previous marriage who live in the East Devon area.
Detective Sergeant Pete Jones, from Exmouth CID, said Mr Batten's next of kin had been informed.
"We are keeping an open mind as to how the man came about to be there. Nothing suggests it was suspicious," he explained.
You may also want to watch:
A member of the public who was out walking in the area reported seeing a body that appeared to have fallen from a cliff near Budleigh Golf Club at around 1pm yesterday afternoon.
Police and coastguard helicopters were used in a dramatic joint operation to recover the man.
- 1 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 2 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 3 Pop band McFly set to perform at Imperial Recreation Ground
- 4 Delay to train travel this weekend
- 5 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 6 Exmouth loses out on multi-million pound funding boost
- 7 Sound move to join singing group
- 8 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 9 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 10 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
But, Det Sgt Jones said when a member of the coastguard's crew was lowered down from the helicopter, it was then confirmed them man had died.
He added: "Today we have been taking statements from his friends to ascertain Mr Batten's last movements. I am conducting enquiries and will submit a report to the coroner."
Det Sgt Jones said the man's wife, naturally, was 'deeply upset'.