Man finds hair in KFC meal

PUBLISHED: 10:16 15 November 2013 | UPDATED: 10:16 15 November 2013

Archant

An Exmouth father is calling for improved hygiene at a town centre restaurant after choking on a human hair in his fried chicken meal.

Alan Carter, 51, says the incident happened at the KFC restaurant in Imperial Road, where he had ordered a mini fillet meal with fries and beans.

He said: “All of a sudden I had a long hair in my mouth, and I choked. I turned around to the manager and said ‘I’ve just found this’. He said ‘would you like another meal?’ and I said ‘you’re having a laugh’. Then he said ‘would you like a refund’, and I said ‘yes I would’.”

Mr Carter, who lives in Queen Street, says until this incident he was a regular customer at KFC, and he wants them to make sure it doesn’t happen to someone else.

“I just want a bit of hygiene. I’m not about suing them – I’m not bothered about that. My kids use it all the time, so I want them to improve their standards.”

A KFC spokesman said: “We take hygiene extremely seriously at KFC and are really sorry for Mr Carter’s experience. We have a number of measures in place to prevent this from happening, so we’re very sorry that on this very rare occasion, we failed to meet the high standards we set ourselves.

“Our restaurant staff apologised at the time and provided Mr Carter with a full refund and we are retraining our cooks in the restaurant on our strict food preparation processes to ensure this doesn’t happen again.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Exmouth Journal