Major sport funding for public vote.
SPORT in Exmouth is set for a big boost- and residents will get to decide which sport benefits.
Around �150,000 will be spent on sports facilities in the town by East Devon District Council, which has come from housing developers as part of receiving planning permission.
Now the council is asking sports and community groups to come up with their own ideas for how the money should be spent to fund new or existing permanent sports facilities.
However, the money cannot be spent on indoor facilities, professional sports grounds, golf courses or playing equipment.
Proposals must be sent to Exmouth Town Council by April 21, before the best ideas are put up for a public vote to choose which schemes will be funded. Between one and three schemes are expected to get the go ahead.
Exmouth Town Clerk, John Wokersien, said: “In these days of austerity, it is a pleasure to be able to say that there is some money available for investment in our community and that this is an opportunity to ask people what they think it should be used for.”
An EDDC spokesman said: “The most important thing is that we ask the community where they want this money spent.
- 1 'Step aside, Salcombe' - travel article names Exmouth as Devon's up-and-coming destination
- 2 Chef from Exmouth retains Michelin two star status
- 3 Exmouth toilets could become an 'eco hub'
- 4 Celebrate last night of the proms in Exmouth
- 5 Council on the lookout for site of new East Devon town
- 6 East Devon Ramblers take the reins on latest walk
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 Could Devon councils be set for unitary shake up?
- 9 History awaits Exmouth Town Football Club
- 10 Grieving mother went off rails after her son's beach death
“We have to make sure that we have asked all the right people in the town, and that we have a good cross section of the community.”
Ideas can be submitted to the town council at the town hall, by email at email@example.com, or by post to Exmouth Town Clerk, Exmouth Town Hall, St Andrews Road, Exmouth, EX8 1AW.
Proposals should include your name, the name of your group, contact details, information on the proposal and an estimate of how much funding you want to apply for. Proposals can just be initial ideas, rather than fully-planned projects.