Lympstone: knifeman jailed for attack rampage

PUBLISHED: 14:18 27 March 2017 | UPDATED: 14:18 27 March 2017

Exeter Crown Court.

Exeter Crown Court.


Ian Shaddick, from Lympstone, has been jailed for eight months at Exeter Crown Court. Shaddick, who has a history of mental illness, attacked the police and his family, brandished a knife at officers and slashed the tyres of a car.

A schizophrenic patient from Lympstone who threatened police with a knife after failing to take his medication has been jailed.

Ian Shaddick went berserk at his home because he had drunk four bottles of lager and 14 valium tablets instead of his regular anti psychotic medication.

He attacked his sister and mother, punched a hole in a bathroom door and went out armed with a knife which he used to slash the tyres of a car.

When police were called to his home in Lympstone he threatened two officers with the knife, which he dropped before starting a violent struggle in which he was tasered and sprayed twice.

He handed over a second knife as they were taking him to hospital to be treated for a valium overdose, Exeter Crown Court was told.

Shaddick, aged 29, of Glebelands, Lympstone, admitted three assaults by battery, two assaults on police, two offences of criminal damage and two of having a knife in a public place.

He was jailed for a total of eight months by Judge Mr Justice Dingemans.

The Judge told him: “As a result of your failure to take your medication and your attempts to self medicate, you lost complete control and caused destruction to your family.

“It is perfectly apparent you had mental health problems and have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.”

Miss Emily Pitts, prosecuting, said all the offences happened on February 25, when Shaddick became violent after returning from a trip out with his family.

It started with a petty row with his sister, who fled the house with her two-year-old son, but who was later punched. He went on to attack his mother and her partner, before damaging the bathroom door and the tyres.

Miss Pitts said: “He appears to have lost all control. By the time the police arrived he had left the area and was found 500 metres away. He drew a knife at the police but dropped it to the ground.

“He was so aggressive police used their spray and a taser but the first time it was not effective. He started spitting at one officer and telling him he had AIDS, He also scratched the officers, who had to use both the taser and spray again.”

He told them he had taken 14 non-prescribed valium and handed over a second knife as he was being taken to hospital.

Mr William Parkhill, defending, said Shaddick has a history of mental illness and had failed to pick up his medication on the day before the incident.

Mr Parkhill said: “He self medicated and is of the view it was the valium rather than the four small bottles of lager which led him to behave as he did. He accepts there is no justification for his complete loss of control.”

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal