Lympstone cyclist to ride 4,000 miles across USA
A KEEN cyclist is to swap plans for a nice gentle bike ride around Lympstone village for a strenuous 4,262 mile journey across America next month. Stuart Woolger, of Longmeadow Road, will fly to Washington DC to start the mammoth cycle ride, which he will
A KEEN cyclist is to swap plans for a nice gentle bike ride around Lympstone village for a strenuous 4,262 mile journey across America next month.
Stuart Woolger, of Longmeadow Road, will fly to Washington DC to start the mammoth cycle ride, which he will embark on his own, on Sunday, May 9.
Mr Woolger, who has given up his job as a web developer to take part in the ride, hopes to raise money for the Shelterbox charity.
The route he will take is called the TransAmerica Trail, from the east to west coast of the United States of America. He said: "I can't wait. There's not long to go now."
Mr Woolger said he had always been fond of cycling and rode to Israel when he was in his early 20s.
He added: "I've got back into recently to keep fit and keep the weight off. I suddenly thought that I could not be bothered working any more and decided to give up to go cycling and travel.
- 1 Bathing banned at Exmouth and Budleigh due to pollution
- 2 CANCELLED - McFly's Exmouth concert called off
- 3 Exe Estuary cleared of ‘navigational obstructions’ by harbour patrol team
- 4 Multi agency rescue on Exmouth seafront
- 5 Exmouth singer Ruby 'has world class talent'
- 6 Littleham group's success after £5k council grant
- 7 Exmouth firefighters save cow from ditch
- 8 Exmouth RNLI save speedboat sinking on the River Exe
- 9 'He's done it again' - Budleigh cyclist raises £1,400 for ELF by riding across Spain
- 10 Review: 'Time of My Life' at Blackmore Theatre
"It's taken about six months to plan. I have got a nice bike made by a firm in Bridgewater.
It will be carrying all my camping and cooking gear around with me."
After he completes the American leg, Mr Woolger plans to move onto Canada and then head down to Australia and Tasmania to cycle there.