Lump sum incentive to encourage East Devon council tenants to downsize
COUNCIL tenants in East Devon are being offered up to £1,100 to move to smaller properties in a bid to ease the region s housing shortage. East Devon District Council s housing team hopes the cash incentive will encourage downsizing and help cut the growi
COUNCIL tenants in East Devon are being offered up to £1,100 to move to smaller properties in a bid to ease the region's housing shortage.
East Devon District Council's housing team hopes the cash incentive will encourage downsizing and help cut the growing waiting list of current tenants and new applicants who are desperate for larger family accommodation.
The authority says the move is an innovative way of finding homes for larger families, while supporting those who offer to downsize because they no longer need so much living space.
Housing needs staff are keen to talk to anyone interested in the possibility of downsizing and discussions would be without any obligation to move.
You may also want to watch:
Tenants are entitled to turn down the smaller property if it does not suit their needs, but those who accept a move will be paid up to £1,100.
Graham and Sue Saunders, of Exmouth, are among those who have taken up the offer.
- 1 Glowing tributes paid to Exmouth RNLI ‘legend’ Tim Mock
- 2 Exmouth residents urged to have their say on WPD’s five-year plan
- 3 Builders merchant encouraging businesses to support Exmouth mental health organisation
- 4 Jurassic Fibre installs 10Gbps connection to Winslade Park
- 5 Work begins on former temporary car park on Exmouth seafront
- 6 ‘Light at the end of the tunnel’ for East Devon’s top attractions
- 7 Proper Fish and Chips expanding into Cranbrook
- 8 LED Leisure Centres ready to reopen
- 9 Fears over ‘seafront nightclub’ alleyed following licensing application concerns
- 10 Exclusive behind-the-scenes look at Mikeys Beach Bar
Said Mrs Saunders: "Our house was too big for us after the family left home and we seemed to be rattling around inside it.
"It took all our time to keep the grass cut, and there was the cost of heating a large house.
"We now live in a bungalow where everything is designed to make life easy.
"We downsized and it was the best move we ever made.