Longboat Cafe: conservation officer supports new plans
PLANS to build a seafront restaurant on the site of the Longboat Cafe have won the support of the district council s conservation officer.
PLANS to build a seafront restaurant on the site of the Longboat Cafe have won the support of the district council's conservation officer.
When, in 2008, Longboat owner Brent Hushon first applied to demolish the cafe to make way for a glass-fronted restaurant, the proposal was deemed 'unacceptable' by the council conservation officer on the grounds it was 'over dominant' and detrimental to the character of the area.
Now, the same officer is supporting the application, saying Mr Hushon's recently-amended plans would have less of an impact on the conservation area than it was first thought.
The district council officer has expressed concerns about a lack of detail in the current plans, relating to the appearance of the proposed development.
You may also want to watch:
But the officer said, provided the details were forthcoming, the conservation department would be willing to support the application.
The officer's report says: "I would support the contemporary approach, as long as the concept, form and detailing is appropriate and conceived to the highest standard."
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 3 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 4 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 5 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 6 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 7 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 8 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 9 Community energy funding helps TRIP coordinate thousands of requests for support
- 10 Temporary seafront attractions to remain in place for the summer
Many who are opposed to the application have pinned their arguments on the fact the Longboat is within a conservation area, a Site of Special Scientific Interest and an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.