Longboat Cafe: conservation officer supports new plans
PLANS to build a seafront restaurant on the site of the Longboat Cafe have won the support of the district council s conservation officer.
PLANS to build a seafront restaurant on the site of the Longboat Cafe have won the support of the district council's conservation officer.
When, in 2008, Longboat owner Brent Hushon first applied to demolish the cafe to make way for a glass-fronted restaurant, the proposal was deemed 'unacceptable' by the council conservation officer on the grounds it was 'over dominant' and detrimental to the character of the area.
Now, the same officer is supporting the application, saying Mr Hushon's recently-amended plans would have less of an impact on the conservation area than it was first thought.
The district council officer has expressed concerns about a lack of detail in the current plans, relating to the appearance of the proposed development.
But the officer said, provided the details were forthcoming, the conservation department would be willing to support the application.
The officer's report says: "I would support the contemporary approach, as long as the concept, form and detailing is appropriate and conceived to the highest standard."
- 1 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 2 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 3 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
- 4 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 5 Aviation industry is key to realising dream of a highly-skilled South West
- 6 Budleigh Lions support town's new community larder
- 7 'Goth girl' Scarlett plans Dartmoor trek for charity
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 10 Exmouth talking newspaper hold first meeting since pandemic
Many who are opposed to the application have pinned their arguments on the fact the Longboat is within a conservation area, a Site of Special Scientific Interest and an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.