Longboat:Budleigh Council action
Budleigh Salterton Town Council unanimously adopted the following resolution at its meeting on Monday, October 26: The town council believes that the East Devon District Council is moving towards approval of a planning application relating to the Longboat.
Budleigh Salterton Town Council unanimously adopted the following resolution at its meeting on Monday, October 26:
The town council believes that the East Devon District Council is moving towards approval of a planning application relating to the Longboat Caf� in November (Journal front page, October 15).
The town council objects to any decision that does not consider the merit of a proposal in sufficient detail. Whilst the town council notes that there is public support for some cautious and sensitive development of the caf� and building, it does not believe that there is much, if any, support for any major project that involves the wanton destruction of the Longboat House, which is a landmark on a beautiful beach and one of the very few constructions of its type to survive from the 19th century.
The town council also has concerns, as a result of a statement by the Chief Executive of EDDC, of the phrase saying "...the [Development Management] Committee is presently 'minded' to accept the principle of the redevelopment of the Longboat Caf� and the scale, mass and design of the proposed scheme" before any final planning decision has been made.
You may also want to watch:
The town council further deprecates the contribution EDDC must make to the development by offering its shelter building to the developer. Without this shelter, the proposed development would be kept to a much more acceptable size.
The town council has offered to assist EDDC by gathering opinion that can then be used to arrive at an informed and consensual decision about any development of the beach and its surrounds. Though EDDC has not yet deigned to respond, the town council still remains ready to help.
- 1 New High Sheriff of Devon appointed
- 2 Exmouth’s Deaf Academy recognised for ‘outstanding use’ of technology during lockdown
- 3 Mrs B marks 10 years with All Saints Pre-school
- 4 Exmouth and Budleigh councillor retain county seats in 2021 elections
- 5 Recruitment evening for Exmouth’s Air Cadets squadron
- 6 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 7 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 8 Royal Marines Charity gets donation from Devon-based roofing firm
- 9 Premises licence for Mikey’s Berach Bar granted – but opening hours cut
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend