EDDC elections: first results emerge
- Credit: Archant
A late night separating the ballots has delayed the count but the first seven East Devon District Council wards have been announced.
The authority’s Conservative chairman Paul Diviani retains the Yarty seat, but vice chairman Christine Drew, another Tory, lost Sidmouth Rural to Independent David Barratt.
Raleigh was the first result, which was taken by the East Devon Alliance candidate, Geoffrey Jung, who ousted Conservative cabinet member Ray Bloxham.
In Budleigh Salterton, Tory trio Alan Dent, Steve Hall and Tom Wright have all been re-elected, proclaiming: “The Budleigh boys are back.”
In Exmouth’s Brixington ward, Conservatives David and Maddy Chapman and Cherry Nicholas have also all been re-elected.
You may also want to watch:
And in the town’s Withycombe Raleigh ward, Brian Bailey, Steve Gazzard and Brenda Taylor have won the vote.
Whimple was claimed by Peter Bowden, claiming the seat from Lib Dem Martin Gammell.
- 1 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 2 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 3 Pop band McFly set to perform at Imperial Recreation Ground
- 4 Delay to train travel this weekend
- 5 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 6 Exmouth loses out on multi-million pound funding boost
- 7 Sound move to join singing group
- 8 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 9 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 10 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna