EDDC elections: first results emerge
- Credit: Archant
A late night separating the ballots has delayed the count but the first seven East Devon District Council wards have been announced.
The authority’s Conservative chairman Paul Diviani retains the Yarty seat, but vice chairman Christine Drew, another Tory, lost Sidmouth Rural to Independent David Barratt.
Raleigh was the first result, which was taken by the East Devon Alliance candidate, Geoffrey Jung, who ousted Conservative cabinet member Ray Bloxham.
In Budleigh Salterton, Tory trio Alan Dent, Steve Hall and Tom Wright have all been re-elected, proclaiming: “The Budleigh boys are back.”
In Exmouth’s Brixington ward, Conservatives David and Maddy Chapman and Cherry Nicholas have also all been re-elected.
You may also want to watch:
And in the town’s Withycombe Raleigh ward, Brian Bailey, Steve Gazzard and Brenda Taylor have won the vote.
Whimple was claimed by Peter Bowden, claiming the seat from Lib Dem Martin Gammell.
- 1 There are some hard truths we need to accept about the pandemic
- 2 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 3 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 6 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 7 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 8 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 9 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 10 Community thanked for help in setting up rapid testing centre at college