EDDC elections: first results emerge
- Credit: Archant
A late night separating the ballots has delayed the count but the first seven East Devon District Council wards have been announced.
The authority’s Conservative chairman Paul Diviani retains the Yarty seat, but vice chairman Christine Drew, another Tory, lost Sidmouth Rural to Independent David Barratt.
Raleigh was the first result, which was taken by the East Devon Alliance candidate, Geoffrey Jung, who ousted Conservative cabinet member Ray Bloxham.
In Budleigh Salterton, Tory trio Alan Dent, Steve Hall and Tom Wright have all been re-elected, proclaiming: “The Budleigh boys are back.”
In Exmouth’s Brixington ward, Conservatives David and Maddy Chapman and Cherry Nicholas have also all been re-elected.
You may also want to watch:
And in the town’s Withycombe Raleigh ward, Brian Bailey, Steve Gazzard and Brenda Taylor have won the vote.
Whimple was claimed by Peter Bowden, claiming the seat from Lib Dem Martin Gammell.
- 1 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 2 Bouncing back with our Library of Things
- 3 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 4 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
- 5 Creative thinking will connect artists across East Devon
- 6 Exmouth Parkrun is back with a bang
- 7 TV presenter Josie makes a splash at holiday park
- 8 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 9 RBL seeks new Poppy Appeal organisers
- 10 Medics start fundraising row from Exmouth to help life-saving charities