Claire Wright ‘most successful Independent in UK’
- Credit: Archant
A popular candidate - who secured nearly a quarter of the vote in the race for East Devon’s parliamentary seat – has thanked her supporters.
Claire Wright finished second to Conservative Hugo Swire in the election and was the most successful Independent candidate in the UK after attracting more than 13,100 votes.
She said: “This has been a long campaign which I launched a year ago. It has been a life-affirming adventure and I have, never, not for a second, regretted having been on this stimulating journey.”
Across the whole of the UK, only one other candidate, standing as an Independent, who won nearly 5,200 votes, broke through the 5,000 barrier. Not one other Independent in the UK finished higher than fourth.
Mrs Wright added: “I would have loved to have been East Devon’s MP, but it wasn’t to be this time, but I am elated at having secured almost one quarter of the vote and come second. The online bookies, who have said for months that I was the leading challenger to Hugo Swire, have been proved right.
You may also want to watch:
“I am told that I have achieved the best result of any independent in the country for more than a decade.
“My result has only been possible because of my determined and dedicated core campaign team, who could not have worked harder. I truly believe that they have been the best team in the country. I must also thank the 250 people who have pounded the streets for me over the last year, in all kinds of weather, delivering leaflets and knocking on doors, putting my case for an MP who would speak for and act for the people of East Devon. I also thank those who displayed so many of my posters across the constituency and, of course, the hundreds of residents who donated a mind-blowing total of over £13,000 for my campaign. Thank you all for what you have done. ”
- 1 Afghan refugees to be found temporary accommodation in Exmouth
- 2 Could building above car parks help solve housing issue?
- 3 Lions' golf day puts thousands into vital diabetes research
- 4 Exmouth Harriers running all over the UK
- 5 Tune in to free help if you get interference on your television
- 6 Exmouth driver claimed he was spooked by unmarked police car
- 7 Budleigh Salterton Parkinson's Disease T-shirt fundraiser
- 8 Five per cent of county care home staff yet to have jab
- 9 New electric vehicle charging hubs given the green light
- 10 Budleigh bowlers welcome touring sides