LATEST: Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall on rescue drama
Celebrity chef’s praise for lifesavers following ‘sticky situation’ on fishing trip
HUGH Fearnley-Whittingstall said he got into a ‘sticky situation’ when a fishing trip off the Sidmouth coast went wrong – and this afternoon praised his rescuers.
The Herald revealed how the celebrity chef and his 10-year-old son Oscar issued an SOS on Monday when their boat became stuck on rocks near Beer Head.
Coastguard and Sidmouth Lifeboat crews raced to his aid at around 3.50pm.
Mr Fearnley –Whittingstall said this afternoon: “I want to say a massive thank you to both the Portland Coastguard and the Sidmouth Lifeboat team.
You may also want to watch:
“We got ourselves into a sticky situation and their response was fantastic.
“It is great to know that when things go wrong at sea we have a brilliant and dedicated team of men and women standing by to make sure incidents and accidents don’t become disasters.”
- 1 Young stage stars tell magical story of Matilda
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 New meeting place needed for nattering knitters
- 4 Century celebrations ahead for wartime evacuee Joan
- 5 Fantastic fight night return for local boxing
- 6 Exmouth's 'kite twins' triumph in national freestyle championships
- 7 Photographers invited to share their favourite images
- 8 Explanation needed for failure to fulfil election pledge
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels