‘Wonderful and kind’ Joyce Metcalf celebrates 100th birthday at Bay Court
- Credit: Annemarie Turner
Staff and residents at a Budleigh Salterton care home have helped ‘wonderful and kind’ Joyce Metcalf celebrate a landmark birthday.
Joyce, who survived a bomb attack in 1940 when working as a housekeeper, celebrated her 100th birthday at Bay Court Nursing and Residential Home where she has lived for the last two years.
Annemarie Turner, activities coordinator at Bay Court, said the highlight was a Zoom call with her nephew and receiving a card from The Queen.
Annemarie added: “Joyce Metcalf is a wonderful, kind and well-travelled Lady who has lived a very interesting and varied life.
“She has overcome all sorts of obstacles and has had more than her fair share of sadness.
You may also want to watch:
“She was married to a wonderful man, Alex, who was a flight engineer. His job taking them all over the world.
“It was a true privilege to celebrate 100 years of Joyce with afternoon tea surrounded by cards and gifts from all over the world.”
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 3 ‘We’re here to help’ - eMAG’s volunteers ready to help during latest lockdown
- 4 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 5 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 6 Temporary seafront attractions to remain in place for the summer
- 7 Community thanked for help in setting up rapid testing centre at college
- 8 Exmouth man get Royal recognition for services to marines charity
- 9 Budleigh Freemasons support the visually impaired
- 10 £15m plans to restore the River Otter to its natural and historic plains approved