Join Exmouth’s Lily-Hollie memorial walk
people are being asked to step out in memory of a baby who died from meningitis, in a bid to help other youngsters affected by the disease.
Lily-Hollie died in 2008 after contracting meningitis and, since her death, her grandmother, Linda Helliker, of Chichester Close, Withycombe, has tirelessly fund-raised for the Meningitis Trust.
The Lily-Hollie memorial walk will be held on Sunday, August 7, setting off from Exmouth docks at 2pm.
The eight-mile sponsored walk, now in its fourth year, is suitable for all ages and abilities and can be a gentle stroll or a stride.
The route takes walkers along the seafront and beyond, and those taking part can tackle as much or as little of the route as they wish.
You may also want to watch:
Dog owners are welcome to bring along well-behaved pets on leads and they can also be sponsored for the event.
Meningitis Trust spokeswoman Jo Campbell said the charity was reliant on voluntary donations.
- 1 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 2 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 3 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 4 Finest display of the season for Exmouth Town
- 5 Concept of 'live local' more important than ever in housing crisis
- 6 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 7 Exe Raid Regatta on Exmouth water
- 8 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 9 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
She said: “The services, support and education provided by the Meningitis Trust are a lifeline for people in the UK whose lives have been affected by meningitis.”
Mrs Helliker’s world changed forever on Good Friday 2008 when her son Philip, then 37, a former Exmouth Community College pupil, telephoned from his Army quarters in Germany, where he was serving with the 5th Battalion of the Rifles, to say his beloved four-month-old daughter Lily-Hollie had died in his arms.
To join the sponsored walk, contact Jo Campbell on 0845 120 0664, email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Linda Helliker on (01395) 272264.