‘He’s a natural’ - landscape designer Jacob’s Oxford College success
- Credit: Nicky Murphy
An Exmouth trainee landscape designer has graduated from a coveted garden design course with the highest possible grade.
Jacob Betts, of Exmouth-based Urban Earth South West Limited, was passed the Oxford College of Garden Design course with a distinction.
Urban Earth Director, Phil Yolland said Jacob displayed a ‘natural talent’ for garden design, which has helped their business.
He added: “Jacob is exactly the kind of person we are looking to have in our business; highly capable, self-motivated, wise beyond his years by some degrees, kind, considerate, thoughtful, extremely hard working, a very fast learner and hugely talented across the board, a display of ‘young brilliance’ in a very modest, measured and humble way already.
“He has taken to the designing of gardens very naturally, listens to our clients intently and always gets them exactly what they would like alongside coming up with designs regularly beyond our customers own initial comprehension.
“This then enables us through his vision to create and build these gardens for customers to become ‘dream’ gardens almost that feed our customers in a myriad of different ways.
“We believe we have a real gem here and a flourishing young designer in our midst who could well be up and alongside other top designers in our local area.
- 1 'I strongly believe there is an argument for opening restaurants now'
- 2 Dog walkers urged to follow Four Paws Code
- 3 D-day looms for Beautiful Days festival
- 4 Mayor’s ‘life in lockdown’ art competition launched
- 5 High tech skills training at former Flybe centre shows how Devon is preparing for life after the pandemic
- 6 Speed limit trial will pave the way for safer Devon roads
- 7 The radio is off but it's still important to support local bands
- 8 Exmouth pharmacy offering Covid-19 vaccine appointments to those in priority groups
- 9 Banned customer jailed for 'sucker punch' attack on innocent pub diner
- 10 Prada Cup disappointment for Exmouth sailor
We are thrilled to have Jacob on board and hope that many of our new clients get the opportunity to enjoy the creative design and subsequent build process.”
Jacob attended Falmouth University and after graduating joined Urban Earth and they enrolled him on the Oxford College course.
A spokesman for Urban Earth said they wanted to provide Jacob with on-the-job coaching and the Oxford College course allowed them to do that.
Oxford College’s Principal, Duncan Heather, said that “Jacob has excelled on this course.
“It has been a real pleasure to watch his growth in real time. From a competent landscape contractor, to a highly gifted artist and designer.
“A personable young man, who is producing professional work of an extremely high calibre. I wish him every success for the future.”