Increased security presence at Topsham bonfire event
THERE will be greater security presence at Topsham rugby club’s bonfire night following last year’s event when a man had part of his nostril ripped off.
Dave Tanner, a committee member at the club, said security would be stepped up at the firework display at Bonfire Field on November 5.
A twenty-three-year-old rugby player, who was working as a volunteer at the 2009 event, sustained a deep laceration on his head and part of his left nostril was damaged following an incident.
The player needed eight stitches as doctors reconnected part of his nostril to his noise.
Richard Shelton, police community support officer for Topsham, said there would be an increase in police presence.
You may also want to watch:
“I know there were a few issues associated with last year’s bonfire night which we do not want a repeat of this time around,” he said.
More than 2,000 people attended the firework display last year. The numbers who have attended the bonfire night has increased every year.
- 1 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 2 Exmouth deliver outstanding display in local derby
- 3 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescue kitesurfing girl
- 5 Exmouth 2nds return to action with a win
- 6 Voluntary sector shows again how it responds quickly
- 7 Sound move to join singing group
- 8 Plenty of evidence why Devon won't give up the ghost
- 9 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 10 The upcoming annual Budget and how it might help those struggling this winter