Hot barbecue disposal warning after children are hurt on beach
PUBLISHED: 16:12 26 July 2015
Exmouth beach revellers are being warned this summer to discard their disposable barbecues safely.
Town hall chiefs fear a repeat of two years ago when, according to medics, five children in two weeks were burnt after running over scorching sand where barbecues had been placed.
Two of the children, a four-year-old girl and a six-year-old girl, were rushed to hospital, suffering from burns to their feet.
The warning followed a meeting between councillors Bill Nash and Steve Gazzard and the town’s police and fire chiefs.
Councillor Nash, reporting back to the town council meeting recently, said: “We are having problems with portable barbecues again.
“We have these big bins next to the beach, but they are not suitable for portable barbecues.
“There have been instances when the fire brigade has been called to put out fires in the bins.”
He called on beach users to ensure they first extinguished the barbecues after using them, before putting them next to the bins.
Cllr Steve Gazzard suggested they ask district council chiefs for fire-proof containers to be placed beachside.
Mayor Maddie Chapman said the problem was that once hot barbecues had been moved, there was ‘no evidence’ they had ever been there.
Cllr Chapman said unwary beach users could then easily wander onto the scorching hot sand. She suggested that water could be poured onto the sand to cool off the area.
Cllr Nash added: “Someone suggested at the meeting, if you have a portable barbecue, use some of the millions of gallons of seawater to put it out.
“The chap from the fire brigade nearly fell off his chair and said ‘no, never put water, especially seawater, on hot coals’.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.