Our society will benefit from helping the lonely and isolated - Marc Jobson guest column
- Credit: Archant
In his latest guest column, Marc Jobson, manager of Budleigh health and wellbeing hub, talks about teaming up with the Budleigh Community WOrkshop Trust to purchase the old fire station
The activities of the Hub at Budleigh reach far beyond Budleigh, into Exmouth, Woodbury and the outlaying villages.
Budleigh maybe our base but we seek to work in all areas and to draw people in from those areas.
We aim to help people to help themselves to become healthier.
That maybe physical health needs or it may be their mental health that needs a boost.
You may also want to watch:
We have sadly seen over recent months as people have been required to isolate and shield that levels of mental health and wellbeing have dropped significantly.
Why does this matter to me you might ask?
- 1 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 2 Do you know who owns the Magnolia clock?
- 3 Open Door is here for the community during lockdown 3.0
- 4 Introducing the Journal's newest columnst - Scott Gray
- 5 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 6 Headteacher ‘blown away’ by response to computer fundraising campaign
- 7 Town council’s slice of tax bill set to decrease
- 8 Rugby hopeful for a brighter summer
- 9 Budleigh café steps in to provide school lunch parcels
- 10 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
Because we know that being lonely and isolated has a similar influence on your health as smoking or obesity.
Loneliness increases the risk factors for progression of frailty, developing coronary heart disease and stroke.
This not only affects those people directly but costs the NHS and thus you, significant amounts of money.
The tricky bit is that you and others have never actually admitted to being lonely.
That is why we have joined forces with Budleigh Community Workshop Trust.
They aim to help lonely and isolated people of all ages, sexes and abilities to come together and socialise in a workshop environment.
They desperately need funds to support their bid to purchase the Budleigh Fire Station when it goes to auction in September.
Please donate generously including gift aid by visiting Facebook @BudleighCWT or the Crowdfunder page
Together we can end loneliness.