Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- Credit: Archant
Trains from and to Exmouth will operate on a reduced timetable in light of the Government’s latest national lockdown announcement, GWR has confirmed.
The train operator introduced an amended timetable in late December to respond to higher than usual levels of staff absent or self-isolating due to Covid-19, and lower demand from changes to the tier system.
From Monday (January 11) this temporary timetable continued with some further alterations, providing approximately 80 per cent of the usual, planned timetable.
This will enable those who do need to travel to do so safely and with confidence and give customers some surety about services so they can plan ahead.
GWR Managing Director Mark Hopwood said: “We have taken some sensible measures to make sure that we are able to run a service that can be relied upon at this time, and that means reducing our timetable a little to shore up the large number of services we continue to operate.
“This is vital to helping key workers to get to work so they can continue to provide services critical to the day-to-day running of the country.”
The changes prioritise key routes essential for those people continuing to deliver vital services as the UK continues to respond to the pandemic.
- 1 'I strongly believe there is an argument for opening restaurants now'
- 2 Dog walkers urged to follow Four Paws Code
- 3 D-day looms for Beautiful Days festival
- 4 Mayor’s ‘life in lockdown’ art competition launched
- 5 High tech skills training at former Flybe centre shows how Devon is preparing for life after the pandemic
- 6 The radio is off but it's still important to support local bands
- 7 Speed limit trial will pave the way for safer Devon roads
- 8 Exmouth pharmacy offering Covid-19 vaccine appointments to those in priority groups
- 9 Banned customer jailed for 'sucker punch' attack on innocent pub diner
- 10 Prada Cup disappointment for Exmouth sailor
Services on regional branch lines, including the Avocet Line between Exmouth and Exeter, will operate to a revised timetable.
GWR will continue to monitor demand in line with the latest travel advice issued by government, ensuring capacity where it is needed and the ability to respond quickly when lockdown is eased.
Those who have already purchased tickets, but who are now not able to travel because of the latest changes in government travel advice are able to claim a refund.
GWR has been providing rail services throughout the pandemic and has worked to ensure that these are as safe as possible.
This includes increased cleaning regimes and the use of a virucidal spray; extra staff at key stations to offer help and guidance; and processes in place to help customers maintain a safe distance where possible, such as restricting the number of reservations available.
Full details of the timetable will appear on industry websites shortly. Please check your journey at https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/check-your-journey.