From small gifts do mighty Budleigh blooms grow
Donating just five pounds could help Budleigh in Bloom retain its gold award status in future South West in Bloom competitions.
Refusing to rest on its laurels after the town won its fifth consecutive prize in the annual competition, last month, the Budleigh in Bloom committee has already begun planning its 2012 floral displays.
Hopeful of maintaining its award-winning standards, the group is appealing to residents to support the town’s efforts with cash.
While the group is thankful to receive regular donations – some totalling hundreds of pounds - to help fund many of the town’s large displays and flowerbeds, the committee said it also welcomes smaller donations from individuals.
Budleigh in Bloom chairman Pat Prew said giving a small sum of money, such as five pounds, would also have a positive effect on future floral entries.
Pat said: “It goes towards plants, the inevitable compost and seeds.
“We are happy to receive donations from everybody and anybody. We have got about fifty different sponsors, but we are always willing to have more.”
- 1 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 2 Exmouth care home launches new grant to tackle loneliness
- 3 How can you help Exmouth?
- 4 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 5 Record level of police numbers will soon have a positive effect on our communities
- 6 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 7 Exmouth Harriers turn to the Countryside
- 8 Live grenade training to resume on Woodbury Common from next month
- 9 Law firm invites students to apply for work experience placements
- 10 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
The green-fingered group hopes to spend future funds on sustainable planting - keeping down costs - while protecting the environment and encouraging wildlife.
Pat said the aim was to introduce more permanent planting alongside bedding plants.
Budleigh in Bloom secretary Sue Griffin said: “A mainstay of our work has always been the support given to us through sponsorship of planted troughs, flowerbeds and containers.
“Sponsorship has come from the public and local businesses who want to show a commitment to the town or simply as a practical personal contribution to the town environment.”
The group said it was thanks to the help of everyone involved, that the town had been successful for the last five consecutive years in achieving a South West in Bloom gold award from the Royal Horticultural Society – retaining the Ayre cup for half a decade.
Sue added: “Our aim for 2011 and beyond is not only to maintain past standards, but, hopefully, to encourage some completely new areas for flower displays in and around the town.”
Budleigh in Bloom was recently awarded �250 from the town council to fund flowerbeds on The Green.
If you would like to donate to Budleigh in Bloom, contact Pat Prew on 07980 593739 or email email@example.com