Exmouth Library friends group to disband – citing a lack of community support
- Credit: Archant
A lack of community support has forced an Exmouth fundraising group to disband after it unsuccessfully tried to attract younger volunteers.
The Friends of Exmouth Library will cease to exist from December 2, following a decision taken an extraordinary meeting.
A group spokesman said: "We have tried to attract younger volunteers without success.
"Many of us are way beyond retirement age and suffer from ill health.
"It is somewhat ironic that we are the largest town in Devon and we have the largest secondary school in Europe, yet we can't find enough volunteers to support our busy library supervisor."
You may also want to watch:
The group meets once a month and stages various fundraising events throughout the year.
The spokesman praised the 'sterling job' done by the current committee, comprising a chair, treasurer and secretary - all of whom will be standing down for a number of reasons.
- 1 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 2 Council chairman declares unique new sensory garden open
- 3 Chair of council is the right man for the job
- 4 Funding boost means park team can get their skates on
- 5 The virus brought into focus many problems that were already there
- 6 Repair cafe opens again
- 7 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane
- 8 Communities complete vital work to protect future development
- 9 Dealer took over vulnerable people's homes in Exmouth and Exeter
- 10 Estuary team invite families to go wild with summer activities