Exmouth Library friends group to disband – citing a lack of community support
- Credit: Archant
A lack of community support has forced an Exmouth fundraising group to disband after it unsuccessfully tried to attract younger volunteers.
The Friends of Exmouth Library will cease to exist from December 2, following a decision taken an extraordinary meeting.
A group spokesman said: "We have tried to attract younger volunteers without success.
"Many of us are way beyond retirement age and suffer from ill health.
"It is somewhat ironic that we are the largest town in Devon and we have the largest secondary school in Europe, yet we can't find enough volunteers to support our busy library supervisor."
You may also want to watch:
The group meets once a month and stages various fundraising events throughout the year.
The spokesman praised the 'sterling job' done by the current committee, comprising a chair, treasurer and secretary - all of whom will be standing down for a number of reasons.
- 1 Afghan refugees to be found temporary accommodation in Exmouth
- 2 Could building above car parks help solve housing issue?
- 3 Lions' golf day puts thousands into vital diabetes research
- 4 Exmouth Harriers running all over the UK
- 5 Tune in to free help if you get interference on your television
- 6 Exmouth driver claimed he was spooked by unmarked police car
- 7 Budleigh Salterton Parkinson's Disease T-shirt fundraiser
- 8 Five per cent of county care home staff yet to have jab
- 9 Budleigh bowlers welcome touring sides
- 10 New electric vehicle charging hubs given the green light