Freezing temperatures expected across Devon overnight
DEVON County Council has issued a warning of icy roads as temperatures are set to plummet to as low as – 3C overnight.
DEVON County Council has issued a warning of icy roads as temperatures are set to plummet to as low as - 3C overnight.
The county council's gritters started salting the major routes on the pre-salting network from 4pm onwards, covering around 1,650 miles across the county.
Following yesterday's downpours, water run-off is expected on roads which could cause icy patches. Gritting teams will be inspecting roads in the early hours to treat wet patches, but motorists are being advised to continue to drive with care.
Councillor Margaret Rogers, Devon County Council Executive Member for Environment, said: "With the amount of surface water that was around yesterday our teams are out again tonight to keep roads as clear as possible, but water run-off may leave some roads icy. The forecast shows that the weather over the next few days will be more settled but temperatures will be colder overnight so motorists must remember to drive with caution."
You may also want to watch:
Motorists are being reminded of the following advice:
* Avoid overnight travel unless absolutely essential as roads will always be more hazardous at night with less traffic and colder temperatures;
- 1 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 2 Council chairman declares unique new sensory garden open
- 3 Chair of council is the right man for the job
- 4 Funding boost means park team can get their skates on
- 5 The virus brought into focus many problems that were already there
- 6 Repair cafe opens again
- 7 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane
- 8 Communities complete vital work to protect future development
- 9 Estuary team invite families to go wild with summer activities
- 10 Dealer took over vulnerable people's homes in Exmouth and Exeter
* Never assume a road has been salted - remember that showers or rain will wash salt off roads leaving them prone to ice. In very cold weather even salting will not stop ice from forming;
* Allow extra time for your journey and reduce your speed;
* Drive with care and according to the conditions.
For information on winter driving conditions see: