Free running in Topsham
FREE running is coming to Topsham with a local resident showing youngsters the healthy – and unusual – advantages of the sport.
FREE running is coming to Topsham with a local resident showing youngsters the healthy - and unusual - advantages of the sport.
Kie Mckeever-Willis, 20, is a professional parkour athlete, who plans to bring the unique sport to young people in the town.
The sport involves running through an urban centre, using low walls, benches and other obstacles to make acrobatic jumps and moves.
Free running, which has featured in a number of adverts, music videos and in the latest James Bond film, is low-intensity and only requires the courage to try out the leaps and bounds.
You may also want to watch:
A keen skater Kie, of Gordon Road, first got into the sport after watching a documentary on the emerging movement.
The athlete, who trains five to six hours a day, said: "I am part of a 23-strong team who travel around the world putting on events, our last show was in the IDEX 2009 Expo in Abu Dhabi.
- 1 Afghan refugees to be found temporary accommodation in Exmouth
- 2 Could building above car parks help solve housing issue?
- 3 Lions' golf day puts thousands into vital diabetes research
- 4 Tune in to free help if you get interference on your television
- 5 Exmouth driver claimed he was spooked by unmarked police car
- 6 Budleigh Salterton Parkinson's Disease T-shirt fundraiser
- 7 Exmouth Harriers running all over the UK
- 8 New electric vehicle charging hubs given the green light
- 9 Five per cent of county care home staff yet to have jab
- 10 Megan makes big book milestone
"What first attracted me is that parkour developed from martial arts, making me physically and mentally strong and helps build my confidence."
Kie now hopes to start teaching other young people the fine art behind the sport.
He said: "All it's about is presenting yourself with challenges - rather than jumping over a wall you can somersault it."
To learn more about the sport visit www.urbanfreeflow.com or if you would like to train with Kie contact him at email@example.com or call him on 07595921425.