Free running in Topsham
FREE running is coming to Topsham with a local resident showing youngsters the healthy – and unusual – advantages of the sport.
FREE running is coming to Topsham with a local resident showing youngsters the healthy - and unusual - advantages of the sport.
Kie Mckeever-Willis, 20, is a professional parkour athlete, who plans to bring the unique sport to young people in the town.
The sport involves running through an urban centre, using low walls, benches and other obstacles to make acrobatic jumps and moves.
Free running, which has featured in a number of adverts, music videos and in the latest James Bond film, is low-intensity and only requires the courage to try out the leaps and bounds.
You may also want to watch:
A keen skater Kie, of Gordon Road, first got into the sport after watching a documentary on the emerging movement.
The athlete, who trains five to six hours a day, said: "I am part of a 23-strong team who travel around the world putting on events, our last show was in the IDEX 2009 Expo in Abu Dhabi.
- 1 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 2 ‘Thank you, I've got my Winnie back’ - man’s relief after dog collapsed on the seafront
- 3 New Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine being rolled out in Devon
- 4 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 5 Rotarian laptops and tablets appeal for home schooling
- 6 ‘He’s a natural’ - landscape designer Jacob’s Oxford College success
- 7 Jon Sopel event boosts St Peters’ Chromebook appeal
- 8 Former Exmouth school volunteer recognised with marine conservation award
- 9 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 10 Ban for driver who injured cyclist in Budleigh
"What first attracted me is that parkour developed from martial arts, making me physically and mentally strong and helps build my confidence."
Kie now hopes to start teaching other young people the fine art behind the sport.
He said: "All it's about is presenting yourself with challenges - rather than jumping over a wall you can somersault it."
To learn more about the sport visit www.urbanfreeflow.com or if you would like to train with Kie contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him on 07595921425.