Free running in Topsham
FREE running is coming to Topsham with a local resident showing youngsters the healthy – and unusual – advantages of the sport.
FREE running is coming to Topsham with a local resident showing youngsters the healthy - and unusual - advantages of the sport.
Kie Mckeever-Willis, 20, is a professional parkour athlete, who plans to bring the unique sport to young people in the town.
The sport involves running through an urban centre, using low walls, benches and other obstacles to make acrobatic jumps and moves.
Free running, which has featured in a number of adverts, music videos and in the latest James Bond film, is low-intensity and only requires the courage to try out the leaps and bounds.
A keen skater Kie, of Gordon Road, first got into the sport after watching a documentary on the emerging movement.
The athlete, who trains five to six hours a day, said: "I am part of a 23-strong team who travel around the world putting on events, our last show was in the IDEX 2009 Expo in Abu Dhabi.
- 1 Councillors formally support bid for levelling up fund
- 2 What if housing developments could be done differently?
- 3 In=person exams made a welcome return this year, now for the Proms...
- 4 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 5 Hilary Mantel's desk fetches more than £4,000 at auction
- 6 Angry passenger keyed a car in disabled parking dispute
- 7 Floral boat dedicated to Budleigh fisherman Digger Rogers
- 8 Urgent help needed alleviate ambulance and hospital emergencies
- 9 Do you remember the general election of 1979?
- 10 Lympstone school rated 'good' at latest Ofsted report
"What first attracted me is that parkour developed from martial arts, making me physically and mentally strong and helps build my confidence."
Kie now hopes to start teaching other young people the fine art behind the sport.
He said: "All it's about is presenting yourself with challenges - rather than jumping over a wall you can somersault it."
To learn more about the sport visit www.urbanfreeflow.com or if you would like to train with Kie contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him on 07595921425.