Free race day for Exeter race followers
The Devon National is the feature race at Exeter Racecourse’s free raceday next Tuesday
Racing at Exeter is free to anyone with an EX postcode who pre-books their tickets next Tuesday (March 8) and the fact that the meeting takes place just one week before the spectacle of the Cheltenham Festival begins means the atmosphere is sure to be buzzing.
The highlight of the six race card is the Devon National, run over an extended three miles six furlongs.
The race normally attracts a competitive entry and the rule of thumb is to stick with horses with proven stamina to last out the trip.
Racing kicks off at 2.30pm with the European Breeders’ Fund Mares’ National Hunt Novices’ Hurdle race run over 2m3f and a qualifier for the final at Newbury later in the month which has a total prize fund of more than �50,000.
You may also want to watch:
Then the Weatherbys Bloodstock Insurance Handicap Hurdle over 2m3f takes place before the Devon. To help get into Festival fever there’s the Weatherbys Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide 2011 Novices’ Steeple Chase run over two miles three an a half furlongs followed by the Weatherbys Bank Novice Hurdle over 2m7f. Concluding the day is Upton Lakes and Lodges Amateur Riders’ Handicap Hurdle run over two miles one furlong.
The sponsors are new to Exeter Racecourse and offer lodge holidays with the option of fishing on three acres of lakes.
- 1 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 2 Exmouth deliver outstanding display in local derby
- 3 Lifeboat crew rescue kitesurfing girl
- 4 Exmouth 2nds return to action with a win
- 5 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 6 Sound move to join singing group
- 7 Plenty of evidence why Devon won't give up the ghost
- 8 Voluntary sector shows again how it responds quickly
- 9 Pop band McFly set to perform at Imperial Recreation Ground
- 10 The upcoming annual Budget and how it might help those struggling this winter
They are run by Richard Down, son of successful National Hunt trainer Chris who said: “We are thrilled with our new association with Exeter and very much looking forward to coming racing next Tuesday.”
Those wishing to come racing for free must pre-book their tickets by calling 01392 832599.
The raceday includes free raceday tours and a free bus to and from the racecourse from Exeter St David’s and Exeter bus station