Firefighters tackle massive blaze on Woodbury Common
A MASSIVE blaze on Woodbury Common has destroyed 20 acres of gorse. Firefighters have been tackling the flames since 2.20pm today (Saturday) but now say the incident is under control. The damaged gorse stretches from Four Firs to Yettington. The blaze at
A MASSIVE blaze on Woodbury Common has destroyed 20 acres of gorse.
Firefighters have been tackling the flames since 2.20pm today (Saturday) but now say the incident is under control.
The damaged gorse stretches from Four Firs to Yettington.
The blaze at its height had two fire fronts approximately 400 metres each in length, which were being fanned by strong winds.
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Exmouth, Budleigh Salteron and Topsham were called to the scene but once the scale of the fire was established several other crews were called to assist.
Police were called to Woodbury Castle car park, which was being used as a fire engine rendez vous point, to control the large amount of spectators and volume of traffic.
- 1 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 2 Approval for Clyst Valley regional park plan
- 3 Exmouth and Budleigh councillor retain county seats in 2021 elections
- 4 Premises licence for Mikey’s Berach Bar granted – but opening hours cut
- 5 Covid-19 vaccination programme in Devon enters next phase
- 6 Turf cutting marks start of work on college’s new £13.5m building
- 7 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Looking forward to rediscovering the magic of the theatre
- 10 New attractions and vendors as Queen’s Drive Space gets ready for summer
A spokesman for the fire rescue service said the blaze has been under control since 5pm and fire crews were working hard to dampen down the hot spots.
He added: "The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.