Fire service issue appliance warning

PUBLISHED: 10:30 23 March 2016

Archant

Fire officers are warning people not to leave their electrical appliances unattended after being called to a fire which started in a dishwasher in East Devon at the weekend.

A dishwasher was switched on before the occupants left their Honiton house. The house was in an isolated location but had an adjoining property and the neighbour noticed smoke coming from one of the windows and alerted the fire service.

Two crews attended and quickly and effectively dealt with the fire that had severely damaged the kitchen. The smoke had spread to all rooms in the house because all the internal doors had been left open.

No one was injured and the house was fitted with smoke alarms that operated so would have alerted anyone in the property to the danger.

Station manager Andy Hallam said: “If someone had been at home the smoke alarms would have alerted them, they could have switched the appliance off if it was safe to do so, and/or closed the door to the kitchen before calling the fire service. Either way the damage caused would have been significantly less.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal