Fire rips through Colony homes

PUBLISHED: 11:05 04 December 2011 | UPDATED: 11:13 04 December 2011

fire

fire

Archant

A roof blaze on Saturday morning destroyed one Colony-terraced home and damaged five others.

All dozen residents in the five properties were rescued and cared for by fire crews.

The blaze took five crews, a helicopter and five hours to get under control.

Fire-fighters believe that the fire, which originated in a single roof-living area in Salisbury Road at 6.30am, was caused by clothing placed too close to a night storage heater.

Two Exmouth, one Topsham, one Sidmouth and one Budleigh crew, led by Group Commander Adams, were scrambled.

A fire helicopter was also mobilised from Danes Castle. By 7.17am, 45 minutes after the blaze was reported, everyone was accounted for.

The fire started in the roof of one house and quickly spread.

By 11.36am the fire was under copntrol.

A fire spokesman said that one property has been destroyed by fire, two others seriously damaged with three further properties damaged by smoke.

In total twelve residents were cared for by Fire and Emergency Services support.

By 4.32pm crews were ‘damping down’ the smouldering properties.

A fire spokesman said: “The cause of the fire is believed to be clothing placed too close to a night storage heater.

“The Service would like to remind all residents never to place clothing on or too close to any heating appliance.”

He added the following advice:

• Position them clear of curtains and furniture. keep at least three feet - one metre - away from them.

• Have fireguards to prevent and protect children and/or pets coming in contact with them

• Never dry washing on or near them (or on fireguards)

• Ensure you have a working smoke alarms on each level of your home and check it regularly

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists