Fire at Exmouth property
FIREFIGHTERS were called to deal with an incident at a property in Waverley Road, Exmouth.
Two crews from Exmouth and Middlemoor responded to reports of a fire at around 10.45am last Tuesday, December 14.
The small fire, in a ground floor kitchen, involved a toaster.
Watch Commander Sturtivant, who was in charge, said it was difficult to establish whether the toaster was defective.
Crews used two sets of breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sturtivant said: “Occupants of the property were alerted by a smoke alarm and then they called the fire service.
“We were there fairly quickly as we happened to be in the area. An ambulance crew also came along and did a routine check.”
- 1 Exmouth deliver outstanding display in local derby
- 2 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 3 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescue kitesurfing girl
- 5 Exmouth 2nds return to action with a win
- 6 Voluntary sector shows again how it responds quickly
- 7 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 8 Plenty of evidence why Devon won't give up the ghost
- 9 Withies pick up their first away win of the season in Cornwall
- 10 The upcoming annual Budget and how it might help those struggling this winter
Speaking after the incident, watch commander Sturtivant issued the following safety advice.
He urged people to make sure they had an effective smoke alarm and said if people had toasters to make sure they are positioned and used in a safe position.
Mr Sturtivant added: “If you find there is a fire in a room, make sure any doors, if possible, can be closed. This will help prevent smoke and fire spread.”
If you do not have any smoke alarms fitted in your home, call the community fire safety department on 0800 7311822, who can arrange for one to be installed.