Fines for Exmouth dog owners who break the rules
PUBLISHED: 11:15 16 June 2009 | UPDATED: 11:10 10 June 2010
EXMOUTH dog owners who fail to properly control their pets on district council land now face a fine if they fail to comply. East Devon District Council executive members have brought in new laws preventing dogs from some public places, and ordering them to be kept on leads in others
EXMOUTH dog owners who fail to properly control their pets on district council land now face a fine if they fail to comply.
East Devon District Council executive members have brought in new laws preventing dogs from some public places, and ordering them to be kept on leads in others.
Owners breaking the rules could face a fixed penalty fine if they are spotted by the district council dog warden.
The district council said the preventative measures had been put in place in a bid to protect against the hazards of dog fouling.
District councillor David Cox, responsible for StreetScene, said: "Whilst I understand the needs of owners to exercise their dogs, I believe it is totally inappropriate that they should be permitted in an area where children and young people play. Sadly, not every dog owner is responsible and picks up after their pet."
Under the new rules dogs are banned from Exmouth's Phear Park skate park and BMX areas, and also Withycombe Raleigh football field.
Dogs are also banned from Goosefield in Exton, Back Lane playing field, in Newton Poppleford, Woodbury recreation ground, at Orchard Close and, annually from May 1 until September 30, Woodbury cricket field.
Under the new rules dogs must be kept on leads in Exmouth in the grounds of the Pavilion, Manor Gardens, the Strand Gardens, Carter Avenue playing field and Warren View playing fields.
Dogs must remain on leads on Budleigh Salterton's Greenway Lane playing field and also Woodbury village green.
DOG CONTROL ORDERS:
Dog Exclusions -
Land at First Avenue (to rear of Millwey Rise shops)
Millwey Rise football field
North Street / Willhays field
Axe Valley Community College (entire grounds)
Axminster County Primary School (entire grounds)
St Mary’s Catholic Primary School
Land at Woodbury Park
Broadhembury Primary School entire school grounds
Lime Kiln skate park
Dunkeswell New Century Park
Dunkeswell sports field, BMX track and allotments
Phear park skate park and BMX area
Withycombe Raleigh football field
Mountbatten playing field
Allhallows skate park
Back Lane playing field
Ottery St Mary
Winters Lane playing field
Rockbeare playing field
Rockbeare Primary School playing field
Rockbeare Village Hall grounds
Grass verges opposite school entrance (Stoneylands)
Underfleet skate park
Sidmouth Beach. The beach between the foot of the eastern facing access ramp opposite Ham Lane in the east to a point at the bottom of Peak Hill opposite the Westcliff Hotel in the west (from 1 May to 30 September in each year).
Manstone Lane skate park
King George V playing field (adjacent to hall)
Woodbury recreation ground (Orchard Close)
Woodbury cricket field (seasonal ban from 1 May-30 Sept)
Dogs on leads -
St Mary’s churchyard
The Old Court House Gardens
Loretto Road / Cridlake recreation ground
Branscombe playing field
Holly Close recreation field
Greenway Lane playing field
Chardstock Community Hall car park
The Pavilion grounds
The Strand Gardens
Carter Avenue playing field
Warren View playing fields
The permissive path from Battishorne Way to Roundball Wood
1. From opposite Hawthorn Close to the rear of Millhead Road to Ernsborough Gardens
2. Vine Inn Yard / Greyhound Plot / Northcote Lane
3. High Street to Queen Street
4. End of Chapel Street to St Michael’s Day Centre
5. Pine Park Road Railway Bridge through Westcott Way / Orchards Way to the roundabout on Kings Road
6. Queen Street to Park Pine Railway Bridge through the Glen and Millennium Green into Parsonage Way
7. Top of Church Hill through Lynch Gate past St Michael and All Angels church into Lower Marlpitts Hill
8. From St Michael and All Angels church through cemetery and into Gardiners Lane
9. From Beech Grove past Hale Farm and into Axminster Road (both paths) and them from Axminster Road to Springfield Road
10. From Hale Farm to Northcote Hill past Perry Hale Nursery
11. From Hale Farm to Hutgate Lane and onto Northcote Hill Farm
12. Lower Marlpritts Hill through golf course and into Farway Common Road
13. Farway Common Road via golf course to Wad Moor lane
14. From Langford Road past Cheneys Farm to Monkton Road
15. The Gissage Riverside Walk at Oaklea
16. Higher Brand Lane at Gardiners Cross to Weatherill Road opposite Buttery Road
Ottery St Mary
Land of Canaan
Long park recreation ground
King George V playing field footpath
Woodbury village green