Father to cycle for Tanzania
An Exmouth father will cycle to the heart of England this weekend to help vulnerable children in Tanzania.
David Lowrie, 38, of Salterton Road, will be riding 200 miles in 48 hours from Woodbury to Meriden, in Warwickshire, - traditionally known as the centre of the country.
David, who lives with his wife Julia and sons James, 6, and Thomas, 5, is taking on the challenge to raise money for Seeway Tanzania - a charity which runs a children’s home near the village of Anusha.
David’s interest in the charity was sparked when he joined six other churchgoers from Christ Church in Woodbury on a visit to the home in 2009.
When they returned, the group vowed to raise �20,000 for the home, and David is hoping to raise �1,000 through his charity cycle.
You may also want to watch:
David said: “When we went out there before, it was quite a life-changing experience, and we felt compelled to help them out in any way we could.”
David is a keen cyclist, but says that the tight schedule he faces on the ride will be a new challenge.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Young stage stars tell magical story of Matilda
- 3 Explanation needed for failure to fulfil election pledge
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Photographers invited to share their favourite images
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Exmouth's 'kite twins' triumph in national freestyle championships
- 8 Devon has one of the highest recycling rates in the UK
- 9 Hospiscare yarn-bomb mail trail is a delight for all to enjoy
- 10 New funding pot for community buildings in East Devon
“I have ridden 100 miles in a day before, but the unknown thing is riding it again on the second day.
“I am confident I’ve got the stamina but, on the other hand, it’s something I’ve not done before.”
David will be setting off from Woodbury this Saturday morning, and is aiming to reach Meriden by Sunday night.
To sponsor David, call him on (01395) 275029 or email email@example.com.