Family of four escape Exmouth kitchen blaze

PUBLISHED: 17:57 24 April 2009 | UPDATED: 10:50 10 June 2010

TWO children aged nine and 13, and their parents, escaped unscathed after a home in Exmouth caught fire in the early hours of Friday morning.

TWO children aged nine and 13, and their parents, escaped unscathed after a home in Exmouth caught fire in the early hours of Friday morning.

Exmouth firefighters wore breathing apparatus when they tackled a blaze which tore through the kitchen of a home in Normandy Crescent, off Dinan Way.

The blaze, which the fire brigade said was accidental, began at around 5.30am and quickly engulfed the end-of-terrace house's kitchen, filling the home with thick smoke.

Smoke detectors in the property alerted the sleeping family, rousing them to safety.

The fire crews used a ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.

The kitchen was severely damaged by the blaze, while the rest of the house suffered smoke damage.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Exmouth Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal