Family flee caravan after fire at Exmouth holiday park

PUBLISHED: 18:30 11 August 2010

The burnt-out caravan at Devon Cliffs Holiday Park

The burnt-out caravan at Devon Cliffs Holiday Park

Archant

Police are treating a fire at Exmouth’s Devon Cliffs holiday park as suspected arson

Got a story?

Call the Exmouth Journal newsdesk on (01392) 888506

A FAMILY of holidaymakers were forced to flee their caravan at Exmouth’s Devon Cliffs after it caught fire – an incident which police are investigating as suspected arson.

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation following the blaze which broke out last Monday morning (August 2). Police said a car was deliberately set on fire which spread to an adjacent caravan.

The family of six, who were on the final day of their break, included young children. They fled after another guest at the complex alerted them to a vehicle engulfed in flames.

Watch commander Bob Sturtivant, from the fire authority, said the male guest also helped rescue the people from the caravan.

“It was without doubt an admirable thing that this chap did,” he said.

Mr Sturtivant also paid tribute to the efforts of the green watch team of firefighters for dealing with the incident in difficult circumstances.

He said: “The fire was well developed by the time we arrived. There was substantial damage to two compartments in the caravan – both small bedrooms.”

Firefighters from Exmouth, Exeter and Budleigh Salterton attended the scene. The blaze was brought under control at around 3.20am.

As well as damage to the caravan, the car which flames spread from was destroyed.

A spokesperson for the park said: “We can confirm that there was an incident early on Monday morning when a car was set alight. One static caravan was badly damaged and another slightly damaged.

“No guests were injured or placed at risk. A man was later detained by police for questioning, but has since been released.”

In a separate incident, Stuart Ellis, from Surrey said his family were lucky to be alive after part of their caravan caught fire while they were asleep during a stay at the holiday camp last May.

A clothes airer was set alight outside their caravan, understood to have been started by youths who broke into the park.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists